The purpose of the Prize is to enhance and propagate the culture of “stewardship of the landscape” and “care of places”; it is conceived as an opportunity and an instrument through which a wider public, beyond the community of specialist experts, can be acquainted with the intellectual and manual skills required to manage the changing landscape and to safeguard and promote the natural and historical heritage it embodies; the work requires a wide-ranging combination of scientific, technical, artistic and craft knowledge and skills and entails identification of the distinctive nature and characteristics of a site and an appreciation of its true extent and context; it involves acts of creation, far-sighted renewal programmes, a daily routine of care and maintenance and sensitive application of procedures whereby expressions of the natural heritage, cultural change and human communities can exist side by side in the same place; it shuns ephemeral and superficial effect and measures success in the long term; it seeks a balance between conservation and innovation, accepting that taste changes constantly and that the role of nature and history may differ radically from one civilization or historical period to another.
Each year the Scientific Committee of the Foundation, within the ambit of its ongoing research activities, selects a place that features characteristics, deserves attention and prompts considerations relevant to the aims of the Prize; a citation is issued in which the Committee explains the reasons for its choice. The Committee’s decision is final.
Throughout the campaign, the Scientific Committee proposes and provides guidelines for those actions it considers useful for protecting and enhancing the site in question. Using various means of communication, it addresses public administrations, scientific, artistic, technical and operative communities and all those who are committed to or interested in enhancing appreciation of landscapes and gardens, developing new skills in investigation and planning as well as improving management procedures. Of particular importance among the actions envisaged are: the publication of a dossier to raise awareness and give information about the site; the collection of relevant bibliographical and cartographic materials, which are made available through a documentary exhibition and for consultation in the Fondazione Benetton Studi Ricerche library; the organization of one or more study meetings and a public ceremony during which the body or person responsible for the management of the site is presented with a symbolic award consisting of the “seal” designed by Carlo Scarpa (1906-1978), the designer of gardens after whom the Prize is named.
Maria Teresa Andresen, landscape architect, University of Porto;
Giuseppe Barbera, agronomist, University of Palermo;
Anna Lambertini, landscape architect, University of Firenze;
Luigi Latini, Landscape Architect, Iuav University of Venice (Chairman);
Hervé Brunon, garden historian, André Chastel Centre, Paris, cnrs;
Monique Mosser, art historian, Advanced School of Architecture, Versailles, CNRS;
Joan Nogué, geographer, University of Girona, Landscape Observatory of Catalonia;
Lionello Puppi, art historian, Professor Emeritus, University of Ca’ Foscari, Venice;
José Tito Rojo, botanist, University of Granada;
Massimo Venturi Ferriolo, philosopher, Milan Polytechnic.
Carmen Añón, landscape architect, University of Madrid, member of the Prize Jury from 1990 to 2010; honorary member from 2011;
Domenico Luciani, architect, Director of the Fondazione Benetton Studi Ricerche from 1987 to 2009; deviser of the Prize and its chief executive from 1990 to 2014, honorary member from 2015.
Former members of the Prize Jury include:
Sven-Ingvar Andersson (1927-2007), landscape architect; member of the Jury from 2002 to 2005; honorary member from 2006 to 2007;
Rosario Assunto (1915-1994), philosopher, Chairman of the Jury in 1990 and Honorary Chairman from 1991 to 1994;
Ippolito Pizzetti (1926-2007), landscape architect, writer, member of the Jury from 1990 to 1996, honorary member from 1997 to 2007;
Thomas Wright (1928-2016), consultant to the National Trust and lecturer at the University of London (Wye College), member of the Jury from 1990 to 2000; honorary member from 2001 to 2016.
Since 2015 the Scientific Committee of the Foundation and the Jury responsible for awarding the Carlo Scarpa Prize from 1990 to 2014, have merged to become a single organism. Other participants in the work of the Committee include the Director of the Foundation, Marco Tamaro, and the heads of the various sectors, Patrizia Boschiero, Francesca Ghersetti, Massimo Rossi and Simonetta Zanon.
The activities of the Carlo Scarpa Prize are coordinated by Patrizia Boschiero and the Chairman of the Scientific Committee, Luigi Latini.