This is a collection of documents from various sources, pertaining to both the facility and family of Graziano Appiani (Milan 1850-Treviso 1920). It is interesting for the light it sheds on the history of Treviso and its society between the 19th and 20th centuries. As a company archive this collection is rather patchy, as most documents were lost following the disposal of the property. As family documentation, it is only a potential collection, currently spread out among the various heirs.
Essentially, the original core is a documentary collection in progress, integrated with the personal research of his niece, Adonella Appiani, and documents tracked down by other researchers in various capacities and in various occasions. The results obtained from this mechanism in progress are quite promising.
The company documentary collection consists of legal documents, a hand-written pay-roll book, photos, production catalogues, distinctions and various tile samples. The family collection is composed of photos, letters from Graziano Appiani to his son Virginio (1919), biographical booklets, a metal bust and a garden statue from Villa Appiani which was in viale Montegrappa. There are also printed materials and two degree theses. The documents are mainly in a state of preservation which requires special care, especially to parts damaged by mould.
As such, the Foundation library carried out a preservation operation of a private cultural asset, with a view to its future preservation and use not at the centre but in premises open to the public, according to methods and rules guaranteeing its protection. After its temporary allocation at the State Archive of Asolo, the collection is currently kept at the archives of the Civic Museums of Treviso.
This is an archival-library science service managed by Silvia Favero and Francesca Ghersetti, aimed at preservation and research, also by sorting the materials, indexing and allocating in keeping with the scientific premises and such that, by simplicity and economy, they encourage “external” continuation of the work.